Dear Outgoing Students,
in connection with the spread of COVID-19 virus and among others:
- suspension of didactic classes for students by Polish universities according to a national decision until March 25, and at the Silesian Medical University in Katowice in accordance with the SUM Rector’s Order until March 29 this year (Rector’s Resolution – for download at the bottom of the page),
- suspension of foreign business trips of students, doctoral students and SUM employees (Rector’s Resolution – for download at the bottom of the page),
- suspension of didactic classes for students by some foreign universities,
I would like to kindly inform you about the procedures that apply if you decide to discontinue your Erasmus+ mobility due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the announcement given by Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Minister of Health Łukasz Szumowski, the introduction of border controls and the quarantine obligation for Poles returning to Poland will apply from March 15.
People (Polish citizens, foreigners who are spouses or children of Polish citizens or remain under the constant care of Polish citizens, foreigners holding a Polish Card, heads of diplomatic missions and members of the mission’s diplomatic and consular staff, foreigners who have the right of permanent or temporary residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland, foreigners who have the right to work in the territory of the Republic of Poland, foreigners holding a
work permit, seasonal work permit, a declaration of entrusting work to a foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland) who are currently outside of Poland may return to the country. After crossing the border, each person will be registered and also examined. He will also be directed to a mandatory 14-day home quarantine. (more information: https://www.gov.pl/web/koronavirus/zamykamy-granice-przed-koronavirus).
According to the information provided by the Foundation for the Development of the Education System, the National Agency of the Erasmus + Program (FRSE-NA) in the event of interruption of Ersmus+ mobility due to transmission of the COVID-19 virus, you can apply for „force majeure” at the home university, which will
be forwarded to FRSE-NA . Decisions will be made individually for each mobility.
CASE REPORT „FORCE MAJEURE”:
1) A student who has decided to interrupt or cancel the Erasmus+ mobility due to the spread of COVID-19 virus should contact the home university (SUM) by sending a notice of the decision to terminate mobility to
The notification should state the reasons for the interruption of mobility and provide an initial calculation of the costs incurred that cannot be recovered, as well as attach copies of documents certifying the expenditure.
2) The statement on interruption of mobility should also be delivered in the original by post to the SUM Didactics Center (address: 40-055 Katowice, ul. Poniatowskiego 15) with a note on the envelope „Erasmus + / force majeure”.
3) The statement should be accompanied by the document „Confirmation of Stay”, in which the host institution confirms the actual dates of start and end of mobility.
4) Mobility participants are required to ensure that the airline at which the booking was made allows the possibility of recovering the amount paid for the ticket. If such information is not available on the website of the airline or it informs about the impossibility of recovering the cost of the ticket (as is the case with the so-called low-cost airlines), please include this information in a statement signed by the participant.
5) FRSE-NA does not have a list of countries „authorized” to use the case as a „force majeure”, but is based on new reports published by the European Commission, as well as the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
6) A student whose mobility lasts above the required minimum (i.e. studies > 3 months, traineeships / internships > 2 months) and who decides to return from Italy to Poland may apply for reimbursement of incurred costs for accommodation paid by the end of the planned mobility (dates from contract). It is also a case of „force majeure”.
The above procedures apply to people who would like to interrupt mobility and continue their studies at the home university.
If you have additional questions, please contact:
• by phone (from Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 15:30) at 0048 798 027 859.
Please also remember about the messages posted on the website of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (in the sections: „News” and „Announcements”) and on the website of the Chief Sanitary Inspector and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as well as on the website of the Silesian Medical University in Katowice.